Thursday, April 23, 2009

New School Dandy Profile: Martin Jerez



Over the past several months we have been introduced to many amazing people through our Facebook fan page. With this post we continue a regular series of profiles of New School Dandies. This week we feature Martin Jerez of the blog Wing Tipped.

Where did you grow up? I was born in Woodside, Queens, New York and lived there until I was 4. Then, my family packed up and moved to a quiet suburb in the northern New Jersey area.

Where do you live now? I currently live in Boston, MA, but I shuttle back and forth to New York because I just can't get enough!

Where did you go to school? Two words: Catholic school. I'm currently a student at Boston University's School of Management. I'm sure wearing a uniform for most of my life has been a big influence on my comfort of being in ties and blazers.

What's your occupation? I've been working as a Marketing Assistant for a manufacturing company in New Jersey for quite some time doing product and event photography as well as various tasks. I'm actually quite anxious for the summer begin because I recently just landed an internship with Gucci. I can not wait!

When did you establish your personal style? Hmmm... I would probably have to say towards the end of my junior year in high school. I just started gravitating towards button up shirts, dress pants and suit shoes. I also "borrowed" a massive amount of ties my father had from the 80s, including an awesome red Fendi tie and two Christian Dior ties. Seriously, I was surprised he had those laying around!

How would you describe your style? Retro classic. I'm really inspired by mainly the 50's, 60's, and 70's, but with a more fitted twist to it. I almost never wear t-shirts, though I do have a collection of crazy tank tops. I always go for button-ups. I love clean, solid shirts, especially with white bank collars. At the same time, print shirts such as florals, stripes, or symbol patterns are equal opportunity. When I go out, I love rolling up long sleeve shorts and throwing on a big black bow tie or suspenders (rarely both together). I've kinda given up on vests but I do love a great blazer...My current obsession is a gray APC blazer I wear with everything. I love a pair of fitted trousers or jeans with a pair of loafers (no or low socks) or boots (tucked in or out of the jeans depending on the outfit proportion). In terms of coats, double breasted is always the best way to go.

What are your sources of inspiration? Movies from or inspired by the 60s and 70s are a big inspiration. There's something about the usual color palettes and way of dress men had that gave it a sense of menswear freedom. A lot of past trends are always reappearing on the runway in a more fitted view.. which is what I truly adore. I also drive inspiration from editorials because it's always interesting to see the stylist's take on designer's clothing and sometimes you would never think of putting an article of clothing one way could work, but it actually does with some innovation and confidence!

Who is your style icon? To be honest, I've never really had one. But, I do admire Lapo Elkann's style (except for his occasional suits with sneakers outfit)... or should I say, Gianni Agnelli's wardrobe.

What are your preferred dandy reading materials? My best friend Sasha bought me this book a while ago called The New English Dandy that I favor a lot. It's by Alice Cicolini... you should check it out. It's good inspiration. My sister also bought me this men's style handbook by esquire and it surprisingly has a lot of interesting tid bits regarded every facet of menswear. Otherwise, I'm an avid magazine reader of VMan, Arena Homme +, L'Officiel Hommes, among other $15 men's magazines.

Do you have a favorite website? One too many! Of course The Sartorialist is always a go-to site... and I love Fashiontography and Where The Lights End for updates on new editorials. A new favorite of mine is What is James Wearing? I can relate to his love for Gucci and James really knows his color palettes! I'm always anxious to see what he pairs up next. It's also refreshing to see a man do a classic style blog.

What is your favorite personal item (non clothing/accessories)? My sister made me a soup cup once in her pottery class and I absolutely love it.It's big and has interesting curves to it. It's a pale mustard and dark gray color and I'm an absolute fan of a pale or darker color palette.My sister made it and it can fit Cup Noodles in it, what else does a college student need, right?

What is your favorite clothing article or accessory? I would either have to say my big black bow tie or my beige trench coat, evidently. The black bow tie has really become a staple in my outfits as I seem to wear it out a lot. I also have three of the same kind, which is pretty embarrassing!...I guess I need to step out of the black bow tie arena sometime soon.. I've been looking for a brown one recently.

Where is your favorite or dream vacation spot? My favorite vacation spot is definitely the Dominican Republic... my parents are from there and it's just so invigorating to be around such personal culture. Not to mention the scenery is breathtakingly beautiful.BUT, my dream vacation spot would definitely have to be Sydney, Australia or somewhere in Europe I've never been to before... like Oslo, only because I'm anxious to be in such an open-minded and style-friendly environment.

Tell us the best kept secret in your city. Ok, the second thing I love most next to clothes is definitely food, so I'm going to focus on that subject. Inoteca on the corner of Ludlow and Rivington (Lower East Side area) has the most amazing and affordable dishes ever. You HAVE to try the eggplant lasagna and the bruschetta with ricotta fresca...oh and get a cheese platter too! Is it evident that I absolutely love the food there?!

At which establishments would you consider yourself a regular? This is almost embarrassing... but you could find me around Beatrice or BEast on the weekends and probably Sugarland on Saturdays because it's a great place to go with a bunch of friends and just let loose. Don't believe all the smack about that place until you actually go!

What would you be doing ten years from now? Hopefully working in the PR or Marketing office of a high-end fashion company and (wishfully thinking) doing styling for editorials on the side.

What else do you want to tell us? People always tend tell me I look angry and intimidating, but I'm really not.If you see me around, don't be afraid to say hello! I'm really friendly, especially when I'm in the right environment.

C.H.
Tweet This
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...