Saturday, April 11, 2009

New School Dandy Profile: Cory Ohlendorf



Over the past several months we have been introduced to many amazing people through our Facebook fan page. With this post we continue a regular series of profiles of New School Dandies. This week we feature fashion writer/editor Cory Ohlendorf of the all-purpose men's go-to web site, Valet.

Where did you grow up? Just outside St. Louis, in a tiny town in Illinois.


Where do you live now? At the moment, Washington, DC. But currently entertaining the idea of a move. Such is the beauty of the web—you can do it from anywhere. Well, at least anywhere where an Opening Ceremony is located.

Where did you go to school? I studied journalism at Northern Illinois University, right outside Chicago.

What’s your occupation? Editor in Chief, Valet.

When did you establish your personal style? Was there a pivotal moment?
Ever since I was little, I was very particular about my clothes. Especially little things like belts and watches. I recently visited my parents and they remarked that my old school gold Timex, oxford shirt, corduroys and Top-Siders looked like something I wore in my 4th grade school picture. The classics endure, I guess.

How would you describe your style? Disheveled All-American. It's preppy, but not stuffy. Lots of button-down shirts, but never ironed and my sleeves are always rolled. And looking at my closet, blues and grays trump all.

What are your sources of inspiration? I'm inspired out on the street. Seeing how people are putting things together, and then just talking with guys about what they want to know more about. Then all that gets distilled into the site.

Who is your style icon? I like the guys that had really nice pieces, but didn't wear them in a precious way. Luxury with a casual attitude. JFK, Dick Van Dyke, McQueen and old school Sean Connery.

What are your preferred dandy reading materials? I love British Esquire, which seems quite dandy, doesn't it? Lately I've been pulling down every coffee table reference book we have and reading up on things like the history of khaki. And I check sites like All Plaid Out, Ivy Style, What I Saw Today and NYT's The Moment for a taste of the good life.

Do you have a favorite website? Besides my own? I think Michael at A Continuous Lean does a great job at funneling ideas in life, fashion and music through his distinct lens.

What is your favorite personal item (non-clothing/accessories)? I collect vintage typewriters, and my favorite is a light blue Royal number from the 60s. But my love for the iPhone borders on obsession.

What is your favorite clothing article or accessory? I've got a lot of cardigans since you can wear them year round. And wear them, I do.

Where is your favorite or dream vacation spot? Disney World.

What would you be doing ten years from now? Wow. That's hard to say. It's hard to imagine what the site (and thus, my life) will be like in two years. But I hope that I'm still doing what I love, with people I want to work with ... just with more money and a bigger closet.

What else do you want to tell us? Valet is all about little FYI boxes filled with interesting facts, so here's one on me. I once helped Arnold Schwarzenegger pick out a pair of shoes.

C.H.
Tweet This

4 comments:

John M said...

great blog! and awesome shop! how did you get your shop started?

FineAndDandyShop.com said...

Thanks John. We started small - just buying things we like. Online is the way to go!

Christina - WhatsInYourManPurse.com said...

Oh my he's very handsome. If he was carrying a man purse, I'd beg him to also appear on my blog as well. I especially liked that little factoid about picking out the Gov's shoes. I once ordered and delivered a Patty Melt for/to Jay Mohr. Okay, that was in no way as cool as picking shoes for Arnold, but it's what I've got.

Paul Pincus said...

dick van dyke. love that. great style.

british esquire is essential. great interview!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...