Monday, November 9, 2009

New School Dandy Profile: JD Elquist


Over the past several months we have been introduced to many amazing people in the virtual world of blogs and social networking. With this post we continue a regular series of profiles of New School Dandies. This week we feature blogger/designer JD Elquist.

Where did you grow up? Wherever the Hells Angels took me.

Where do you live now? West Village in Manhattan.

Where did you go to school? The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in San Francisco.

What’s your occupation? I run a men’s style blog and design men’s wear. Both can be seen at http://www.jelquist.com/. I am also Editor-in-Chief of SIR Magazine, which is set to debut soon.

When did you establish your personal style? Was there a pivotal moment? How has it changed? Costume consumed my childhood. One day I was Batman, the next day I was Robin. I wore the mask of whatever role I was playing that day. It's the same today. My look has one thematic thread running through it, but may vary depending on what I have to accomplish that day. My pivotal moment was when I started shopping for timeless pieces rather than adhering to trends. My look is ephemeral, but solid; while trends are fleeting.

How would you describe your style? I wouldn’t, it would describe me.

What are your sources of inspiration? The places I have been and the people I have met.

Who is your style icon? Gianni Agnelli, he wore a wristwatch over his cuff and work boots with a business suit. Mr. Agnelli founded personal style.

What are your preferred dandy reading materials? My favorite is WWD/Men’s.

What is your favorite clothing article or accessory? White pocket square - man’s best friend.

Where is your favorite or dream vacation spot? You know it’s funny, I live in it.

Tell us the best kept secret in your city. The highline park in Meatpacking. Awe inspiring.

At which establishments would you consider yourself a regular? Esperanto CafĂ©, it’s my second home.

What would you be doing ten years from now? Coming up with new dreams to actualize.

What is your current obsession? Blogging and ice cold sunsets.

Currently inspired by? My team: Jeremy, Bradley, Nick, and John. I would be nothing without them.

Currently annoyed with? Parades, New Yorkers love their parades.

What else do you want to tell us?  It's just the beginning.

C.H.
Tweet This

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...