Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dandy Accessory: Spats

Spats. Yes, spats. A little over a year ago I heard from a customer who was looking for spats. I soon learned that it was just about impossible to find a new pair made the same way and with the same materials that they were made 100 years ago (excluding custom made). So I began my quest to manufacture spats. A year later, after partnering with a leather worker in New York City's garment district, we've added two styles of spats to the shop site. Initially we've only made them in one size, however if the interest is there we will be adding additional sizes and styles.








Spats were a popular accessory in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, originally meant as a protector of shoes from mud and muck. Here are some images from the archives:
 








Have you worn spats?
Tweet This

5 comments:

18 Kerut said...

ooo. very nice.. i may have to purchase me a pair.

Ray Frensham said...

You know you have a sales or three here, once you start making them for larger feet...

Anonymous said...

Sorry mi ignorance...
if spats would protect your feet of mud and water, why are they made of wool? Do not they get wet? could i take them to the dry cleaner?
Actually, i though spats were either only leather or patent.
what's wrong with me...?

FineAndDandyShop.com said...

Anon, I believe they were made of wool because of the relatively low price (compared to leather). And spats were used because it was cheaper to replace a pair of spats than a pair of shoes (similar concept of removable collars). However I suspect that it became more of an aesthetic issue than practical. Spats don't even cover the entire top side of a shoe!

Pastor Valentino Marquez said...

What size does this come in.. I wear a size 10.5 US Mens size shoe. Will these fit so I can purchase a pair right away. Call me at 786-314-2571 Valentino

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...