Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Dandy Profile: Patrick McDonald


Since the shop site launched three years ago we have been introduced to hundreds of stylish guys who embrace their "inner-dandy". With this post we continue our semi-regular series of dandy profiles, now featuring legendary dandy Patrick McDonald, with photos by Rose Callahan.


Where did you grow up? I grew up in San Luis Obispo, California. I moved there when I was very young. I was born in Heidelberg, Germany.  I came over from Hamburg, Germany along with Salvador Dali and Rossano Brazzi.

Where do you live now? I live in Alphabet City, New York City.

Where did you go to school? I went to Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

What’s your occupation?
I'm a dandy of all trades.

When did you establish your personal style? Was there a pivotal moment? The pivotal moment was when I was a little boy, about five years old, and I got my first box of Cracker Jacks. I reached in for the prize and it was a little metal bird and I pinned it to my navy blue jacket uniform which I wore to school and that was the beginning of everything.

How would you describe your style? I describe my style as my art. It's what I create every morning when I wake up.

What are your sources of inspiration?
My major source of inspiration are the streets of New York City and the streets of the world. But also, the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Who is your style icon?
Salvador Dali.

What are your preferred dandy reading materials?
  I like to read autobiographies. Actually I'm reading a book right now called Furious Love and it's about the love letters between Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor.

What is your favorite clothing article or accessory? My hats.

Where is your favorite or dream vacation spot? I have more than one. But I will choose two: Fire Island Pines and Paris, France.

Tell us the best kept secret in your city. Life Cafe.

At which establishments would you consider yourself a regular? Again, Life Cafe. Also Indochine.

What would you be doing ten years from now? I hope to be enjoying my life as I always have enjoyed my life. I hope I still have the freedoms that I have. And I hope to be healthy and to be around people that I love.

What is your current obsession?
I am currently obsessed with good manners and the people who have them.

Currently inspired by?
I am inspired by people who aren't afraid to express themselves in how they look at all costs. I'm inspired by a lovely girl by the name of Michelle Harper, Robert Richards, Kenny Kenny. I'm inspired by creatives.

Currently annoyed with?
I'm annoyed with greed. I'm annoyed that people need so much when there is so much to be shared. I'm annoyed with entitlement and people being mean-spirited and ill-mannered.

What else do you want to tell us? I will leave you with a quote: Fashion is my art and that art is my freedom.


Tweet This

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He certainly is dapper!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...