Friday, October 28, 2011

Dandy Endorsed: Movember

Last year around this time we blogged about Movember, a month-long moustache growing event raising "vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men". We recently learned that our friend and customer, Skinner, is participating so we asked him to be our Movember "corespondent". Each week through November Skinner will check in with us to update us on his progress. 

Skinner writes: 
 
“WELCOME THE RESISTANCE!”

Starting Monday, I knew it wasn’t going to be my best week when the sign in the barber shop read “reopening soon”.  Instead I went to the doctor for my annual physical.  Clean bill of health!  At least that’s something.
 
As my Movember journey continued, I’ve asked the same question 100’s of times… Will you grow a MO’ with me?”  Here’s a sampling of the responses:
 
“No way, I would look ridiculous.”

“My wife would hate it.”

“My Boss would get so pissed.”

“My Mother-in-Law would disown me.”
 
“My patients would be scared of me.” 
 
“I’d ruin Thanksgiving dinner.”
                 
Why is everyone resisting? Have we become such a style over substance culture that we can’t “donate” our upper lips for 30 days without worrying about any negative consequences?  I know I’m not going to have a “Tom Selleck” or Salvador Dali”.  I’ll be lucky to look like Errol Flynn.  Let’s be honest for a second, the truth is IT’S NOT ABOUT THE MO.  Look at the bigger picture.  If you won’t give up your face for a month how are you ever going to make any serious changes that could potentially save your life.  So ask yourself “what’s stopping me from growing a Mo’?” and get over it! PLEASE.

Good news, my barber shop opened up and I have an appointment set for Tuesday.  I’ll be starting off Movember with my smoothest shave ever.

-MO’ Bro Skinner
Tweet This

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...