Tuesday, July 6, 2010

New School Dandy Profile: James Jimenez



Since we launched the shop we have been introduced to many amazing people in the virtual world of blogs and social networking. With this post we continue a regular series of profiles of New School Dandies. Up next, James Jimenez a.k.a. Mr. Burton, with photos by Rose Callahan.





Where did you grow up? In Colombia and New York, talk about opposites.

Where do you live now? God's backside in New York...Ozone Park (yeah, I never heard of it before either).

Where did you go to school? In a third world country.

What's your occupation? I have a day job, but my nights are devoted to being a playwright, novelist, poet, and tie designer.

When did you establish your personal style? Was there a pivotal moment? How has it changed? A person's style is a life long progress, you go along with it. A pivotal moment was when I was in my early 20's and I was thinking about what kind of man I wanted to be and what I wanted to look like. My earliest influences were men's Victorian, Edwardian, and 1920's looks. Then I realized that Gomez Addams was the perfect man, but with him being fictional, a mere cartoon, I felt it was a wonderful creation.  My style through the years has grown a bit more. I also love the 1930's and 1940's and have also wanted to go even back further in time, I think the early 1800's would suit me fine too and I'm working on that. Who knows what the future will bring.

How would you describe your style? Another place and time.

What are your sources of inspiration? The aesthetics of the past, silent films, art, music,travel, and my heroes...

Who is your style icon? I can't pick one person because so many people have had such an influence on me that goes on beyond a look. If I had to pick one or a few, Oscar Wilde, Rudolph Valentino, Robert de Montesquiou. ( I'm old school)  There are people that influence me to dress up too, like some of my favourite women, Marlene Dietrich, Sarah Bernhardt and the Marchesa Casati.

One of my absolute favorite living dandies is Maximilliano Mocchia di Coggiola, he by far is the true definition of a dandy, he's so adventurous with his color schemes, he's a hard one to top!

What is your favorite personal item? My jewelry collection. I can't pick out one item, although I am quite attached to a 1920's intaglio ring that has the profile of a flapper on it.

What is your favorite clothing article or accessory? I don't think there is such an answer, everything in my dressing room is special and each piece is like a historical artifact. I do like my coats a lot though.

Where is your favorite or dream vacation spot? I love Paris with a passion. I have yet to discover Spain and Italy.

What is the best kept secret in your city? No matter how long you've lived here, there's always something you haven't seen, new people you haven't met, something always happening, one of the great things about living in NY.

At what establishment would you consider yourself a regular? At Dances of Vice and Wit's End, I love a chance, any chance, to dress up.

What else do you want to tell us? Since we are on the topic of style, know yourself. That will determine your style, it can also be the greatest discovery you'll ever make...







C.H.
Tweet This

3 comments:

Yesterdays Glamour Queen said...

you look stunning Jamsey!

dining table said...

That outfit is so weird. I can see my old picture of my dad. He is always telling me that when he was a young he is always updated on fashion.

Anonymous said...

James J - Nos from Hillcrest Here!
You look fabulous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...