Thursday, October 1, 2009

New School Dandy Profile: James Field


Over the past several months we have been introduced to many amazing people in the virtual world of blogs and social networking. With this post we continue a regular series of profiles of New School Dandies. This week we feature James Field of The Black Nouveau.

Where did you grow up? Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, the area known to many as the Poconos, but it's truly my favorite place to be. I miss it a lot.

Where do you live now? Jersey City, New Jersey, only here for school, it's closer to New York without actually living in New York.

Where do you go to school? Berkeley College on 43rd & 5th Avenue, Marketing major with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. In my junior year. (Almost done!!)

What’s your occupation? I am a full-time student, but I work part-time at Henri Bendel 5th Avenue. I also created and run my own fashion blog…(which seems to take up more time than work and school) called The Black Nouveau.

When did you establish your personal style? Was there a pivotal moment? How has it changed? I established my style the moment I realized I would be going to college in New York City. Living in P.A it was mostly jeans, button shirts and sneakers, but when I began to watch fashion shows and read GQ religiously before school ended…I became a new person in a way. But the pivotal moment that sealed my new personal style was when I worked as the Assistant to Derrick & Kirk Miller, the creative design team of Barker Black shoes. They introduced me to suits, wearing wingtips, pocket squares and bow ties. Kirk actually helped launch the Thom Browne line so he wore a lot of Thom Browne suits to work and they were always well tailored and fitted, and after working there for almost a year their style rubbed off on me. I began buying cheap thrift store suits and tailoring them and wearing wingtips with no sock in the summer and getting all my dress pants hemmed above the ankle. Working with those guys really showed me a new style of dressing that I was always interested in, but was too afraid to try.

How would you describe your style? Classic meets youthful and fresh, since I have dark skin bold color shirts pop off well on me, and I'm tall so slender pants and blazers are like my best friends.

What are your sources of inspiration? Thom Browne, Michael Bastian, Robert Geller and this may sounds funny but …Steve Urkel. I just sooo wanted one of those Collegiate cardigans he would wear with the stripe on the arm!

Who is your style icon? Derrick Miller of Barker Black.

What are your preferred dandy reading materials? GQ Magazine.

What is your favorite personal item (non-clothing/accessories)? My Burts Bee’s lip balm.

What is your favorite clothing article or accessory? A double breasted, camel trench coat that I found at a vintage shop for $30. It fits like a charm and I didn’t have to tailor it or anything!

Where is your favorite or dream vacation spot? I’ve been to Alexandria, Egypt. That was my favorite vacation spot. I would love to move there one day.

Tell us the best kept secret in your city. “Yoga To The People” on Saint Marks Place is free yoga, it may not be a best kept secret but I sure think so! I love it.

At which establishments would you consider yourself a regular? Housing Works Thrift Shop in Gramercy Park.

What is your current obsession? Argyle socks!

Currently inspired by? All things British-Made.

What would you be doing ten years from now? I will have evolved my blog into an online magazine with a vintage clothing section featuring pieces that I ship in from all around the world. I will also have an art gallery / café style, type space somewhere in the West Village.

C.H.
Tweet This

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...