Thursday, March 26, 2009

New School Dandy Profile: Michael Moreau

Over the past several months we have been introduced to many amazing people through our Facebook fan page. With this post we continue a regular series of profiles of New School Dandies. This week we feature blogger Michael Moreau of culturcosm.com.


Where did you grow up? New Orleans, LA (affectionately known as NOLA, by the locals).

Where do you live now? San Francisco, CA.

Where did you go to school? Tulane University in New Orleans & Imperial College in London (engineering undergrad), followed by Portfolio Center in Atlanta (graphic design grad).

What’s your occupation? Art director, founder of Bay-area trend blog culturcosm.com.

When did you establish your personal style? Was there a pivotal moment? How has it changed? I lived in Japan for two years after university and the country's widespread and individually-honed sense of style made an indelible impression on me. In New Orleans, we often say locals "live to eat." The Japanese "live to shop." This was also really the beginning of my design education. The most critical lesson about fashion that I've learned is that every trend is not for you. Also, especially as it pertains to menswear, cut, fit and finish is paramount.

How would you describe your style? Mod fusion.

What are your sources of inspiration? Everywhere I've lived or traveled, my friends, my family, my boyfriend.

Who is your style icon? I grew up watching a lot of 50s, 60s, and 70s film and television and they all heavily-influenced my aesthetic. To site any one would be impossible. Even this list is abridged: Fred MacMurray, Larry Hagman, Dean Martin, Gene Kelley, Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, Ryan O'Neal, Dick Van Dyke and, of course, Marlon Brando.

What are your preferred dandy reading materials? The Sartorialist, if that's considered reading.

What is your favorite personal item (non-clothing/accessories)? Zsa Zsa Gabor's landmark 1993 work-out tape "It's Simple, Darling." (still in the plastic).

What is your favorite clothing article or accessory? Currently, my jodhpurs from South Korea. Equestrian fashion is reason enough to take up riding.

Where is your favorite or dream vacation spot? On my must-visit list: Greece, Egypt, Australia, Germany, India.

Tell us the best kept secret in your city. You don't have to go to the zoo to see wildlife. Bison roam the lawn in Golden Gate Park.
At which establishments would you consider yourself a regular? Wherever they have my drink ready without my having to ask.

What would you be doing ten years from now? R.S.V.P.ing "YES" to Simon Doonan and Jonathan Adler's next garden party.

What else do you want to tell us? A true dandy is one-part prim and two-parts proper.

C.H.
Tweet This

2 comments:

Carlos said...

Yeah! culturcosm.com is the best. You go Mr. Moreau!

alanlum said...

I'm Michael's #1 fan. He got me at Zsa Zsa!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...